The 1841 population was 2,360
Lee fell within the Hundred of Blackheath. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Lewisham.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester to 1845, London 1846-57.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Lee, St Margaret
Church rebuilt on new site 1839-41.
These date from 1579.
Transcript published by NWKFHS (Microfiche Ref. F4) See MI Publications.
Church of England cont.
- Christ Church: Lee Park. (map ref T) Church built 1854, demolished 1940; parish created 1854 from Lee St Margaret. Original registers from 1854.
- Holy Trinity: Glenton Rd. (map ref U) Church built 1862-3, used to 1948, demolished 1960; parish created 1863 from Lee St Margaret. Original registers from 1863.
- St Mildred: Burnt Ash Hill. (map ref W) Church built 1878-9, replacing 1872 iron church; parish created 1881 from Lee St Margaret & Lee Park. Original registers from 1881.
- Good Shepherd: Handon Rd. (map ref V) Church built 1881, destroyed 1941, rebuilt 1957; parish created 1888 from Lee St Margaret & Lee Park. Original registers from 1881.Parish Register images published by NWKFHS (Microfiche Ref. OR20-25) See Parish Register Publications.
- Grove Park, St Augustine: Baring Rd. (map ref X) Church built 1885-6; parish created 1891 from St Mildred. Original registers from 1892.
- Baptist: Dacre Park, Kingswood Place. (1852-1908). No information on registers
- Baptist: Lee High Rd. (1848-1941 des.). No information on registers
- Baptist: South Lee Tabernacle, Bromley Rd., later Baring Rd. (1874). Original registers from 1886
- Congregational: Crescent Rd. Built 1887-8. No information on registers
- Methodist: Lee High Rd. (1870-c.1950). No information on registers.
- Other: Boones Almhouses, Lee High Rd. (rebuilt Lenham Rd.). Original registers from 1685.