The 1841 population was 19,489
Chatham fell within the Hundred of Chatham & Gillingham. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Medway.
Probate Jurisdiction was Rochester.
Chatham included the hamlet of Luton.
See NWKFHS publications West Kent Sources and School Records for further information.
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.
Church and Chapels (pre 1910)
Chatham, St Mary
Ancient parish Church
Church rebuilt 1884-7; redundant 1874
These date from 1568.
Transcript provided by Rob Cottrell (Microfiche Ref. C45). See Thames & Medway Riverside Parish Register Publications.
St mary - Jul 1998
Church of England cont.
- Luton, Christchurch: Luton Rd. Church built 1884, replacing 1843 building; parish created 1842 from Chatham St Mary. Original registers from 1852.
- St John the Divine: Church built 1821-2; parish created 1852 from Chatham St Mary, abolished 1964. Original registers from 1853.
- St Paul: New Rd. Church built 1853-5, redundant 1974 & demolished; parish created 1855 from Chatham St Mary. Original registers from 1855.
- Royal Dockyard Church: Original registers from 1867.
- Brompton, St Michael: Founded 1795, succeeded by Chatham 1863. Original registers from 1802.
- St Michael the Archangel: Hills Terrace. Church built 1862-3, formerly at Brompton. Original registers from 1802.
- Baptist: Heavyside Lane. (1700). Original registers from 1700.
- Baptist: Zion Chapel, Clover St. (1644). Original registers from 1814.
- Independent: Ebenezer Chapel, Clover St. (1662). Original registers from 1792.
- Jewish: (Existing 1760). No information on registers.
- Bible Christian: Union St. (1815). Original registers from 1820.