OS Grid Reference: TQ4668
The 1841 population was 997
"The Crays are four highly respectable villages and parishes cintiguous to each other, situated in the lathe of Sutton-at-Hone, Hundred of Ruxley, and Union of Bromley, on the banks of the river Cray, in a beautiful and diversified country, interspersed with numerous elegant seats and noble mansions. In St Mary Cray there are two Independent and one Wesleyan chapel, a literary Institute and reading rooms, in which lectures are frequently delivered. St. Mary Cray had formerly a market, but it was discontinued in 1703, when the market house was blown down. On the River Cray are several paper mills, which employ a number of persons of both sexes. Each of the Crays has its parish church, but there is not anything remarkable about either of these edifices." 1852 directory
St. Mary Cray fell within the Hundred of Ruxley. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Bromley.
St Mary Cray included part of the settlement of Crockenhill.
For ordering details see Census Publications.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England