OS Grid Reference: TQ7258
The 1841 population was 1,344
"Aylesford is a village and parish, in the hundred of Larkfield, and lathe of its name; 34 miles S.E. from London, and about 3½ N.N.W. from Maidstone; situate on the bank of the river Medway, over which is a stone bridge of six arches.... In 1240 a Carmelite monastery was founded here by Ralph Frisburn, many parts of which are still entire. At Horsted is a monument of upright stones, erected, as is supposed, to the memory of Horsa, the brother of Hengist; and three miles distant is another, called 'Kit's Cotty-house'.... A paper mill is the only manufactory of the place. The places of worship are the parish church, dedicated to St Peter, and a chapel for Wesleyan methodists. The living of Aylesford is a vicarage in the patronage of the dean and chapter of Rochester. The charities consist of an endowed school, and a hospital, founded in the year 1617, for six aged persons. Aylesford confers the title of earl on the family of Finch. 'Priory', the beautiful seat of the present earl, is in this parish." Pigot's Directory, 1839
Aylesford fell within the Hundred of Larkfield. Its 19th century Registration District & Poor Law Union was Malling.
Aylesford parish included the hamlet of Eccles.
Churches and Chapels (pre-1910)
Church of England
For project purposes this parish is covered by Kent FHS.